Relaxer Update 2

So I was 10 weeks posts (about 2 months), when I relaxed yesterday.  This stretch was a bad one for me.  I traveled a lot for track and school began to kick my butt.  As a result, I became inconsistent with my regimen.   Then I ran low on products, and just started to improvise.  By the last few weeks, I was praying time would go by faster so I could come home and relax.  I’m very happy to say, my first year of college is officially over.  I got home yesterday, and immediately got to work on my hair.

I used ORS Olive Oil Professional Creme Relaxer (Extra Strength).  I’ve found that the regular formula in most relaxers leave me with under processed/texlaxed hair, which isn’t what I’m looking for at this stage in my hair journey.  I grabbed this to try it out, and I LOVED it.  I know for a fact I haven’t gotten better at applying relaxers (I’m still pretty sloppy, and I still need to work on my speed), but the results so far look great.  I got the bone straight results I wanted and it looks like I didn’t over-process my hair.  I’m so proud of myself, and will definitely stick with this relaxer from now on.

Here’s how my relaxer day went.


  1. I based my scalp/edges with some leftover vaseline/base I had from old box relaxers.
  2. Applied my mix of olive oil, castor oil, and tea tree oil to the length of my hair (avoiding my new growth) to protect against overlapping.
  3. I parted my hair into 4 sections applied the relaxer. Like I said I’m still learning/practicing so it wasn’t perfect, but I am definitely improving, slowly but surely.
  4. Smoothed the relaxer.  I always forget to time my relaxer process, and I really should.  When I do remember to start the timer, I forget I even have it going, and just go with the flow.  I just usually see how my scalp feels, how my hair looks, and how much time seems to have passed.
  5. Rinsed out and applied Aphogee 2 min for about 5 minutes and then rinsed out.
  6. Applied ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo to neutralize.  I let it sit for 5 mins and then lathered about 3 or 4 times, until I felt secure enough to move on with the process.
  7. Deep conditioned with the new ORS Hair Masque for about 2 hours.  I just tried this today, and let me tell you guys, I’m in love with it.  I’ll do a full review on it after the second time I try it, to make sure it wasn’t a fluke, though.  It looks like it might be a staple, though.
  8. Rinsed and sprayed hair with AphoGee Pro-Vitamin Leave in.  I’ve had this laying around for a while, and it was nearly done, so I just decided to finish it up last night.
  9. Detangled and let air dry over night.


I tried to do the half and half method of relaxing at first, but quickly through that out the window.  It was just too difficult for me to maneuver around the plastic bag and see exactly what was going on, and it would have made everything slower, leading to underprocessed hair (again).  I was not having that, and just did it the good old fashioned way.

I was a little rushed at the end of my relaxer.  I hadn’t unpacked all my bath things fully, so I was rushing after I had finished smoothing to gather everything together and rinse the relaxer out.  There was a little burning, but I got to it in time.  My hair felt very smooth and sily after the relaxer, which I enjoyed.  Sometimes, I find some relaxers can leave my hair hard or straw-like, so I loved the new change.

The consistency of the ORS hair masque is very thick.  I’m hoping to stretch 3-4 uses out of it, but I’ll have to see how that goes.  My hair felt extremely soft after I rinsed it out and as I’m running my fingers through my 60% dry hair, it still feels soft.  The only thing I would warn people to watch out for is to make sure you wash it all out.  It gets kind of hard when it’s dry, and it took me forever to rinse out.  I spent a good amount of time rubbing my hair to make sure it was all out, and even then I discovered spots I missed here and there, and had to go back under to rinse again.

I noticed in my much better bathroom lighting that my hair has some weird texture in the middle.  After seeing the newly relaxed hair next to it, it’s actually very obvious how different they are.  The middle of my hair seems broken, and haphazard.  The only thing that comes to mind about what might have happened there, is that it was a result of my first time relaxing on my own in the neginning pf the year.  It looks like it was overprocessed, which explains a lot on why I ha trouble with frizziness and air drying in general this year.  Looks like I’m just going to have to wait and grow it out until I can get real smooth air dried hair.

All in all, I’d say I’m getting better at relaxing.  Slowly but surely I’m learning how to pace myself, how to be more careful, and the correct steps needed to take to insure that everything goes well. I hope to see myself become a pro at this and look back at this post with a smile 🙂



0 Responses to “Relaxer Update 2”

  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Hair Updates

Wearing my hair: buns

Last Relaxer: October 26, 2012

Next Relaxer: February 2012

Last Trim: June 17, 2012

Length Goal: Full Armpit length

Last purchase: Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Shampoo, Dove Damage Therapy Cool Moisture Conditioner

Wishlist: Flexirod Set, Hairveda Whipped Creme Ends Hydration Leave-In & Moisturizer, Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer C.C., more miscellaneous oils, more DC

Loving: Dabur Vatika Coconut Oil Experimenting with: Sulfate-free Shampoo, using conditioner as a moisturizer



Enter your email address to receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 8 other followers


%d bloggers like this: